Release Notes V-Cube & V-Cube+ 6.8.8
Collax V-Cube / Collax V-Cube+
Install Update within Cluster
Please read the following release notes carefully, before continuing. When installing this update on a Collax V-Cube+ cluster the following steps have to be performed:
/ Important information
Please have a look at the Collax V-Cube 6.8.22 Release Notes if the nodes have Version 6.8.20 or above and haven’t been updated yet. For this update, it is necessary that both nodes are set in maintenance mode simultaneously.
- Click at High Availability within the Dashboard.
- Select the other (not the local) V-Cube+ node and change into the Start Maintenance dialog.
- Now, put this other node into maintenance mode by confirming the query in the dialog. Wait until the maintenance mode is reached. Depending on the number of virtual machines and hard disk, this can take some time. Virtual machines will be migrated live, which can take a few minutes depending on the size of the RAM. The progress will be displayed in the list of background activities.
- Close the dialog.
- In the list of nodes, select again the other node whose software is to be updated by right-clicking it.
- Change to System Update ….
- Click Check for Updates. The completion will be displayed as “100%”.
- Click Download and Install. This function will download the latest software packages from the update server and install them. The completion will be displayed as Install - 100%.
- Close the dialog and set the node to active.
- Please repeat this procedure for the local node.
Install Update on a Collax V-Cube
To install this update on a Collax V-Cube without a Cluster interconnection please follow these steps:
- Please read this document before proceeding to the next step.
- Please have a look at the Collax V-Cube 6.8.14 Release Notes if the nodes have Version 6.8.12 or above and haven’t been updated yet.
- Please shut down all virtual machines before continuing with the following steps.
- In the administration interface go to Menu → Status/Maintenance → Software → System Update and then click Get Package List. This will then download the listed update packages. The successful update of the package list is indicated by the message “Done!”.
- Click Get Packages to download the software packages.
- Click Install. This action installs the update. The end of this process is indicated by the message Done!.
- A new kernel is going to be installed. The system will be rebooted automatically after installing the update. An appropriate note will be shown once the update process is completed.
- If the server is updated and booted the virtual machines can be started again.
New in this Version
Virtualization: Support for operating systems Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016
With this update the wizard for virtual machines adds support for the operating systems Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
Virtualization: Screen resolution
With this update the screen resolution of the screen console of virtual machines adds support for 2560x1600x32Bit
Virtualization: New virtual BIOS and Windows Virtio Driver for virtual Machines
The BIOS for the virtual machines (SeaBIOS 1.8.2) and the Virtio drivers for Windows will be renewed with this update. To receive optimum performance and stability, use the new Virtio hard disk drivers and network drivers.
V-Cube+: UPS Configuration reloaded
UPS Device Configuration can be realized with the Collax V-Cube+ Cluster. If the connected circuit fails the virtual machines and finally the cluster nodes are shut down properly. The configuration has yet been accomplished through the local setup of the Cluster nodes. Within this release the further UPS configuration will be managed easily through the Cluster Administration Interface. A list of supported devices can be found in the Collax HWCL.
V-Cube+: Accelerated migration of virtual machines
This update installs a newer version of management tools for managing virtual machine (libvirt). The version accelerates the migration of virtual machines.
V-Cube+: Warn about offline node
A new runtime method is implemented and informs the administrator. The method recognizes when there is a node which isn’t powered on or cannot be reached or cannot be seen somehow.
Backup/Restore: Extended settings for Backup targets
With this update additional options for backup targets can be applied.
Misc: Control + Alt + Delete
This update suppresses the shortcut combination ctrl+alt+del.
Misc: Linux Kernel 3.12.58
This update installs Linux kernel 3.12.58.
Misc: Important System Components
The following important system components will be installed with this update.
- GNU C-Bibliothek libc6 2.18
- Programmbibliothek zur Verwaltung virtueller Maschinen libvirt 1.3.2
- Hypervisor QEMU 2.4.1
- SeaBIOS 1.8.2
Issues Fixed in this Version
Security: Internet Domain Name Server Bind
In the source code of the Internet Domain Name Server security holes have been discovered. These holes will be closed within this software update to Bind version 9.9.8-P3
Assigned Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) numbers:
Security: OpenSSL - DROWN-Attack
In the source code of the cryptography toolkit OpenSSL security holes have been discovered. These holes will be closed within this Collax software update. See here . Also SSLv2 is beeing deativated.
Security: Remote Login Program OpenSSH
In the source code of OpenSSH security holes have been discovered. These holes will be closed within this software update to OpenSSH 7.1p2
V-Cube+: Online Snapshots and backups
You can create an online snapshot or an offline snapshot. Apart from creating a separate snapshot disk, an online snapshot stores the current memory state of the machine during operation. You should commit all snapshots before updating to Collax V-Cube+ 6.8.8. Existing online snapshots can be started after the update but their current memeory state will be lost. Same for backups depending on online snapshots.
Misc: Windows Setup notes Error Message 0x80300001
If Windows Server 2008 R2 and above is to be installed on Virtio hard disks using the Virtio driver CD for Windows, Windows reports the error code 0x80300001. The error message occurs if the partitions are recognized and the user clicks the button Next. The message means, that the installation CD of Windows needs to be inserted again.