Release Notes V-Bien 6.9.2
Please read the following release notes carefully, before continuing. When installing this update on a Collax V-Bien cluster the following steps have to be performed:
/ Important information
Please have a look at the Collax V-Bien 6.9.0 Release Notes if the nodes have Version 6.5.28 or above and haven’t been updated yet. For this update, it is necessary that both nodes are set in maintenance mode simultaneously.
- Click at High Availability within the Dashboard.
- Select the other (not the local) and change into the Start Maintenance dialog.
- Now, put this other node into maintenance mode by confirming the query in the dialog. Wait until the maintenance mode is reached. Depending on the number of virtual machines and hard disk, this can take some time. Virtual machines will be migrated live, which can take a few minutes depending on the size of the RAM. The progress will be displayed in the list of background activities.
- Close the dialog.
- In the list of nodes, select again the other node whose software is to be updated by right-clicking it.
- Change to System Update ….
- Click Check for Updates. The completion will be displayed as “100%”.
- Click Download and Install. This function will download the latest software packages from the update server and install them. The completion will be displayed as Install - 100%.
- Close the dialog and set the node to active.
- Please repeat this procedure for the local node.
New in this Version
New Add-on module - Collax Central
With this version, the new add-on module “Collax Central” is available. It helps to keep track of all Collax servers, making administration easier and points out early on emerging problems. The Collax Central Dashboard is a tool to make the administration efficient and the place where all the threads come together. This can be problems to be recognized at a glance in a large server landscape. Sporadic and regular maintenance tasks go quickly by the hand. Collax Central is available as a module for the Collax V and C servers. If you are interested, please contact your dealer, distributor or Collax distributor.
Linux Kernel 4.9.202
This update installs Linux kernel 4.9.202.
Issues Fixed in this Version
Experts have discovered critical security holes. SWAPGS refers to an attack on Intel processors, much like Meltdown and Spectre.
Assigned Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) number:
Intel has fixed security holes
Experts have discovered and fixed critical security holes on Intel processors.
See here .
Monitoring BBU state on Broadcom Controllers
Nagios’ active monitoring of RAID controllers from Broadcom (Avago / LSI) will be adapted with this release. Due to a behavior change, the code had to be adjusted to give a degraded BBU the status CRITICAL.
Important security relevant System Components
This update will also install/update the following important system components:
- sqlite 3.28.0
- Curl 7.65.3
CVE-2019-5018 CVE-2019-8457 CVE-2019-9936 CVE-2019-9937 CVE-2019-5435 CVE-2019-5436
Password for relay email server
A server must be selected to send the system emails correctly. If the relay server requires authentication, the corresponding password for the user ID must be entered here. Due to an error, passwords with paragraph characters contained in them did not work. This has been fixed with this update. In addition, a subsequent error when sending the test email was corrected.
Collax V-Bien temporarily uses snapshots for the backup function. If the operating system of the virtual machine to be backed up was in the initiated sleep mode (pmsuspend), the backup could not be started and was terminated with an error. In the current release an attempt is now being made to wake up the VM in order to enable a successful backup. In addition, under rare circumstances, the scheduled backup of virtual machines does not start automatically. The is beeing fixed within this update.
V-Cube+: Windows Setup notes Error Message 0x80300001
If Windows Server 2008 R2 and above is to be installed on Virtio hard disks using the Virtio driver CD for Windows, Windows reports the error code 0x80300001. The error message occurs if the partitions are recognized and the user clicks the button Next. The message means, that the installation CD of Windows needs to be inserted again.
Changed partition scheme for new installation since version 6.9.0 / Important
when replacing a node
If one of the nodes is defective, it can simply be exchanged via the “Add New Node” dialog. Due to a changed partition schemes take a few things into account.
- Both nodes should have nearly identical hardware equipment - Both nodes must have the same version - An additional 10 GB of free space must be available on the storage volume “default” if the version of the existing node at installation was older than 6.9.0. Under “Virtual Disks” click on “Storage Volumes”, then right click on the storage volume “default” and check the free space specified under Size.